Mysterious notifier editable region

Tom Magliery mag at sunb5.cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 17 04:27:31 AEST 1991

Posted for a friend; I'll be monitoring responses here, but please
send email to him directly:  weber at cs.uiuc.edu

A system command available to the IRIX System V Release 3.3.2 allows
one to create a "Notifier" window that displays a few lines of text and
a couple of buttons that when clicked, return a user-defined value.  This
command is called "confirm", and produces a window like this:

| Notifier						|
|							|
| The text message is displayed here...			|
|							|
|							|
|							|
|							|
|							|
|			+-------+	+-------+	|
|			|button	|	|button	|	|
|			+-------+	+-------+	|

Now the problem is this: for those of you who have used the "jot" editor
program, you will know that when you go to open or save a file, you get
the same style of notifier, EXCEPT you have a small line of EDITABLE text.
Ie.:

| Notifier						|
|							|
| Another text message is displayed here...		|
|							|
| +---------------------------------------------+	|
| | Editable text region (filenames typed here)	|	|
| +---------------------------------------------+	|
|							|
|							|
|			+-------+	+-------+	|
|			|Open < |	|Cancel	|	|
|			+-------+	+-------+	|

How was that editable text region created????  How does the program that
created the notifier get that text returned to it?  If anybody has an answer
to how this was accomplished, I can be reached via e-mail should the solution
to this problem be rather lengthy.

				Thanks,
				Daniel E. Weber
				weber at cs.uiuc.edu

--
Tom Magliery      | WARNING:  Do not attempt to hang from towel, or insert
Univ. of Illinois | your head into the towel loop.  Failure to follow these