ypchpass?

mcdonald at AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL mcdonald at AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL
Wed Apr 17 03:49:13 AEST 1991

I am trying to configure a password time out of 90 days on our YP passwords.
I am also wanting the system to be portable to other machines other than SGI.
(Password aging does not work with YP). One way I thought to do it was to
add a section in the gecos field indicating the time the password is changed.
I can then key on this field with a program that I xeq from /etc/cshrc &
/etc/profile to see if a user's password has expired.  If their password has
expired I will then mail a message to the root at master.server to notify him of
the expired password for the specific user.  He can then check to make sure
the user changes his password.

What I want to know is how the ypchpass program works to change the specific
fields of the passwd database on the master when invoked from a client.  I
would like to write a program that will update my date of change part of the
gecos field when yppasswd is run.  I am going to eventually add this code to
npasswd, which is a replacement of passwd & yppasswd;  npasswd puts several
restrictions on passwords that are valid, and we are going to add more.

Any information on how ypchpass works or how to change YP databases from the
client side will be appreciated.

Thanks.

  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
  | Kenneth M. McDonald * OAO Corp * Arnold Engineering Development Center |
  |          MS 120 * Arnold AFS, TN 37389-9998 * (615) 454-3413           |
  INTERNET:
  mcdonald at aedc-vax.af.mil

  LOCAL:
  c60244 at ccfiris