f77 optimization

Mark Galassi rosalia at max.physics.sunysb.edu
Wed Apr 3 03:01:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar28.220805.40858 at eagle.wesleyan.edu> gravishanker at eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>of these programs do not run correctly if -O is used and the only way they can
>be made to behave the same way as on a VAX is to use -g. We know that these

You don't have to use -g.  That really slows things down.  You can use
-O0 to avoid all optimization and still not include all the debugging stuff.

One of our users here had exactly the same problem, but with a rather
short program, so he bugged sgi until they conceded him a bug #.  They
have not yet sent us a fix after a couple of months, though.  I guess we
will have to call them up.

Meanwhile, and this might be relevant, our MIPS computer (same chip, same
compilers) got an upgrade, and the release notes point out several fixes
in the f77 optimizer.  One of them looked like this:

#187 (or something) Serious.  Wrong results in addition using f77 optimizer.

That's a pretty bad error, what?  SGI should really send out the same
upgrade, or whatever it is that they do with new versions they get
from MIPS.

--
    {These opinions are mine, and should be everybody else's :-)}
	Mark Galassi		rosalia at dirac.physics.sunysb.edu
				rosalia at sunysbnp.BITNET