staunching csh echoing under emacs on the Iris

BUCKLEY ceb at krypton.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 25 05:57:08 AEST 1991

Running 3.3.2, when I run a subsidiary csh under GNUemacs, in contrast to
most every other Unix I've seen, the csh echoes input to it.  In concert with
Emacs, this leads to a doubling of input lines.  While it's not a big
problem, it makes the generation of dribble files a rather tedious affair,
because you have to go through and edit out the doubling for every input event.

Is there some switch to the csh which will prevent it from doing this?
I believe the older versions looked at whether or not that which was
connected to it was a tty or not - the new one makes no distinction
(which means that ls always gives you unicolumnar output unless you
specify -C, among other things).

Personally I found the old arrangement to be quite fine.
Why was it changed?