staunching csh echoing under emacs on the Iris

Michael Gold gold at sgi.com
Fri Apr 26 08:21:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr24.235228.1140 at news.arc.nasa.gov> ceb at krypton.arc.nasa.gov writes:
>Running 3.3.2, when I run a subsidiary csh under GNUemacs, in contrast to
>most every other Unix I've seen, the csh echoes input to it.  In concert with
>Emacs, this leads to a doubling of input lines.

Ahh, yes, I found this one too.  It turns out that if you set filec
it overrides "stty -echo".  The workaround I use in my .cshrc follows:

# Only set filec if not in emacs
if (! $?EMACS) then
    set filec
endif

Since emacs is kind enough to set this variable for you.

--
    Michael I. Gold	 	You go your way, I'll go mine,
    Silicon Graphics Inc.	I don't care if we get there on time,