Connecting Fuji 2266S

John H Merritt merritt at iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 10 04:15:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr8.220521.1111 at utstat.uucp> tg at utstat.uucp (Tom Glinos) writes:
>Has anybody connected one of these to a 4d/220?
>I need jumper settings and fx parameters.
I have installed the M2266S/H (this may well be the specific model that
you will get) on our 4D70.  This is a 1.2Gbyte disk.
I have had no problems with it, once it was properly installed.

It took a bit of telecomming to get all the jumpers on the disk
properly set up for the SGI machine.  I really never received
the installation instructions from the 3-rd party vendor; they kept
sending me the "SCSI Physical Specification" which didn't help with
the physical layout and jumper settings for the specific hardware I
received.

So, to save you that possible aggrivation, here are my notes on how
to physically install this particular disk.

You will need to check 3 things:
   1. The SCSI terminating resistor is attached or removed.  Remove
      it if the disk will not be the last device in the SCSI chain.

   2. The SCSI id is properly set.

   3. CNH2 jumpers have pins 1,2 and 15,16 open.  This is important
      if the disk is to communicate properly with the SCSI controller.

The HOW to:

   1. Remove the disk unit from the power supply casing.
   2. Identify CN9, CN3, CNH3, CNH4, CNH1 and CNH2; we will only concern
      ourselves with CN9 and CNH2, but knowing where the others are
      helps.
   3. Find the SCSI terminating resistor.  It is a DIP style chip
      located above CNH4 and to the right of the SCSI connnector (CN1).
      To find the resistor; orient the disk so that the Power connector
      is at the upper left and CN9 is at the lower left; this will
      place CNH2 at the lower center of the picture and CN7 all the
      way to the lower right.
   4. Remove the terminating resistor if desired.  Otherwise leave it.
   5. Remove the jumpers for pins 1,2 and 15,16 on CNH2; these are the two
      end jumpers.  This was the clincher for getting the disk operational.
      Prior to their removal the following errors were recorded:

SC0:Unexpected info phase, state 4F phase 20
SC0,6:Resetting SCSI bus: stray interrupt error, phase 0x20, state 0x4F

   6. Set the SCSI id on CN9.  Jumper on pins 9,10  = 4
                                         pins 11,12 = 2
                                         pins 13,14 = 1
      Use any combination of jumpers to
      get id's 0 through 7.  0 is no jumpers and 7 is all 3 jumpers.
      An id of 3 is 9,10 open; 11,12 and 13,14 closed.

      Note: pins 13 and 14, on CN9, are located closest to CNH4.  That
            is, they are located on the side closest to the SCSI cable.

   7. Put everything back together and fire it up.

You can 'fx -x' right away to begin formatting the disk.  Use the 'auto'
option.  I don't know how long it takes, because I left and came back in
the next day to a completely formatted disk.  Then you can make file
systems all you want.   I have good notes on making filesystems.
You can reboot if you like.  I only rebooted when it was necessary; I
think it is only usefull if you want 'hinv' to reflect the actual
hardware on the system.

              John H. Merritt --> merritt at iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
              Applied Research Corporation at NASA/GSFC
              "I am generally intolerant of ignorance,
               but I have made an exception in your case."