Sun-Spots Digest, v6n64

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Apr 26 04:28:12 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Friday, 22 April 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 64

Today's Topics:
           Re: Dialin/out on one port (possible SunOS 3.5 bug)
                          Re: fstab swap entries
               Re: Problems configuring cua0 on a 3/160 zs0
                Re: Conference room sized color displays?
                       Sun DecNet(5.1-Sun4) BIG BUG
                     Problems with rasfilter8to1 '-d'
          wanted: gdbtool (windowing interface to gdb debugger)
                      Schematic capture & PC Design?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Sat, 16 Apr 88 17:01:25 PDT
From:    Brent Chapman <capmkt!brent at cogsci.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Dialin/out on one port (possible SunOS 3.5 bug)
Reference: v6n53

In v6n53, Hilarie K. Orman talks about Sun's ttyd*/cua* capabilities to
allow both dial-in and dial-out on the same line, and says:

> ...  The trick is the
> "flags" parameter in the kernel configuration for the device.  This
> activates a mutual exclusion mechanism between devices with matching major
> device numbers and minor device numbers differing by 128 (just one bit).
> Init waits for activity on one device, dial-out uses the other.  Now,
> there must be a little bit of magic going on here, because somehow init
> manages to get away with not doing an open on its device, merely getting
> notified when carrier is detected, then doing the open.

Close, but not quite, at least according to what I've been told (since
I've never looked at Sun's serial driver source, I can't say for sure).
The difference between tty device (major, minor) and tty device (major,
minor+128) when the 'flags' bit for that line of that device in the kernel
configuration file is '0' is that calls to open (major, minor+128)
(usually called the 'cua' device) can happen even if carrier detect is
absent, while calls to open (major, minor) (usually called the 'ttyd'
device) pause until carrier detect is asserted by the modem.  So 'init'
just tries to open() the 'ttyd' device, and the open() hangs until carrier
detect on that line goes high; when CD goes high, the pending open() is
completed, and init forks a login [[ a "getty", actually  --wnl ]] to
handle the (presumed) dialup on the line.  Note that this is in _addition_
to the mutual exclusing mechanism mentioned above; if one of the devices
is open, and you try to open the other one, you get back a "no such
device" message from the kernel, so that if you open a cua, dial out (thus
causing CD to go high when you get a connection on the other end), that
_doesn't_ cause the open() pending in init to complete...  Clear as mud
yet?  It's actually a rather neat trick on Sun's (or whoever orginally
came up with it) part.

Now, for the problem...  Things _used_ to work exactly as described above
for both zs0 (motherboard) serial ports and mti (16-port "Asynchronous
Line Multiplexor") boards.  They still work just fine for mti ports, but I
can't seem to make them work for zs0 ports; I suspect something got broken
in 3.5, but can't prove it, as I didn't have anything trying to use zs0
before I installed 3.5, and now don't have access to anything _not_
running 3.5 to test my theory on...  But if you're using zs0 ports and
3.5, it most definitely does _not_ work they way it is documented to...
Have all the other people who've been having problems with this lately
been running 3.5?

-Brent

Brent Chapman					Capital Market Technology, Inc.
Senior Programmer/Analyst			1995 University Ave., Suite 390
{lll-tis,ucbvax!cogsci}!capmkt!brent		Berkeley, CA  94704
capmkt!brent@{tis.llnl.gov,cogsci.berkeley.edu}	Phone:  415/540-6400