how do I do a backup on my 386i

karl on spruce karl at spruce.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 31 06:22:23 AEST 1988

Peter Lorraine writes:
> Has anyone had any success doing backups onto tape using SNAP?

I've backed up my 386i to a remote tape drive, without using SNAP.  I used
the /usr/etc/rdump command.  You must be superuser, and the remote tape
host must have the name of the machine being backed up in its /.rlogin
file.  The .rhosts entry must be the first name for that machine listed in
/etc/hosts.  In this example, the 386i named geek is being backed up to
nerd's 1/2" tape.  Geek must appear as geek.gsfc.nasa.gov in nerd's
/.rhosts:

nerd% cat /etc/hosts
128.183.xxx.xxx	geek.gsfc.nasa.gov geek
nerd% cat /.rhosts
geek.gsfc.nasa.gov

geek# rdump 0uf ltpsun:/dev/rmt0 /dev/rrooth

Also, nerd's /etc/ttytab must enable root logins with the "secure"
keyword, e.g:

nerd% more /etc/ttytab
#
# @(#)ttytab 1.4 88/02/07 SMI
#
# name  getty                           type            status  comments
#
console "/usr/etc/getty std.9600"       sun             on secure

This works for me.  Good luck.

Karl Anderson