Posting events to windows of other processes

Bob Sutterfield bob at cis.ohio-state.edu
Sat Dec 31 07:02:39 AEST 1988

In article <414 at ho7cad.ATT.COM> dean at ho7cad.ATT.COM (Dean S Jones) writes:
>I need to ``duplicate'' the windows of our CAD package on the console
>of another workstation. It looks as if the easiest approach is to run
>the software on both workstations, and transmit events across a
>network ( TCP/IP ) to the other workstation, where they get read by
>an ``event reader'' and posted to the window of the running program.

Congratulations - you've just invented an application-specific window
system protocol :-)

>We are using Sun 3's w/ Sunview 1.2.

The use of a kernel-based window system would make this quite more
difficult than it has to be, and far less general and portable.  There's a
mailing list called "sharedx at itsgw.rpi.edu" that discusses the issues
involved in doing just what you're attempting to do.  The use of a
server-based window system eases and clarifies a lot of the protocol
layering problems.

That particular list (which, alas, has been dormant since 18 Oct) is
concerned with X.  Other work has been done in the Xerox world.  I don't
know of any work in the NeWS world, but the event structure could be
hooked into similarly to the way that the 1.1 journaling works, and the
events shipped hither and yon as update notices.