Cellular Automaton simulator for Suns

Chris Langton cgl%cardinal at lanl.gov
Thu Dec 1 17:38:47 AEST 1988

Cellsim 1.0 - a cellular automaton simulator for Sun workstations - is now
available and can be obtained free of charge via anonymous ftp from
128.165.96.120. It resides in the "pub" directory as "cellsim_1.0.tar".

It will run on **COLOR** Sun-3 and Sun-4 workstations.

This is a window-based tool for experimenting with 1-D or 2-D cellular
automata, allowing interactive editing of both the cellular arrays and the
transition functions, and supports real-time analysis of data generated
during CA runs via a socket connection.

Version 1.0 is quite a substantial improvement over the beta version that
we distributed for testing early in the summer, and incorportates many of
the suggestions made by those who obtained and ran the beta version.
Thanks to everybody who sent suggestions - I am sure you will find the 1.0
version a vast improvement over the beta version.

For those of you unfamiliar with anonymous ftp, send me a message and I'll
send you a sample script file for obtaining the simulator.

After you have obtained the tar file and extracted the files, read the
cell.doc file for instructions on how to use the simulator.

We are including the source code with this release. This is in the hope
that others will add on features that they find useful.

Please address all comments, suggestions, or queries to me at the address
below.

Chris Langton

Center for Nonlinear Studies		Phone: 505-665-0059
MS B258					Email: cgl at LANL.GOV
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, New Mexico
87545