SEX at the SUG

Chuck Musciano chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com
Thu Dec 1 17:58:54 AEST 1988

The Software EXchange looks like it will be a reality in Miami.  I have
spoken with Mark Sims, from Sun, and a machine will most likely be
available.  I have written a little windowed tool which will let us run a
machine without having someone manage it all the time.  We will support
1/4" cartridge tape ONLY.

Here are the rules for bringing software to share:

	* Create your tapes using tar, without an explicit block size.

	* Use only relative pathnames on the tape.

	* Make sure that each software package you bring is in its own
	  directory on the tape.  Even if the package is just one file,
	  put it in a directory before you tar it up.  The tapetool requires
	  this to keep things organized.  In fact, it will enforce this
	  rule when you add software to the machine.

	* Try to make sure that each package has some sort of README to
	  describe it to potential users.

	* Remember that you are placing things into the public domain when
	  you contribute them, so affix any copyrights, etc.

The tapetool will display a panel with each package and its size
displayed.  You can then select the packages you want and click a button
to create your tape.  Similarly, you can insert a tape, and tapetool will
read off the new stuff and add it to the existing packages.

Even if you have nothing to contribute, make sure you bring a tape to
Miami.  If you don't, you'll be sorry!  And I don't think the Foutainbleu
gift shop has the 45 Mbyte tapes, either.

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131
ARPA: chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com

[[ It looks like most, if not all, of the Sun-Spots source archive will be
available at the Software EXchange.  --wnl ]]