locking down systems

attcan!utzoo!henry at uunet.uu.net attcan!utzoo!henry at uunet.uu.net
Fri Dec 16 07:29:38 AEST 1988

>> One very sneaky trick that used to be quite useful was to just chain the
>> power cord to something...
>If I wanted to steal something, I'd just cut the power cord. I think most
>are adept at replacing them even if the are attached...

Most people at NBS, or reading Sun-Spots, perhaps; most potential thieves,
no.  The days when anyone with his own computer could be relied on to be a
competent (or even incompetent) hardware basher are long gone.  It's very
hard to stop theft by someone who is beyond the screwdrivers-only level of
tool use, but fortunately such people are a small minority.

	Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
	uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu