Can someone please help me with setting up mail?

Cris Fuhrman fuhrman at b.coe.wvu.wvnet.edu
Wed Dec 21 14:06:14 AEST 1988

Hello,

I'm the sys mgr for some Sun 3/60 / 3/50's.  We're running 3.5 of Sun OS
with 2 server machines (each w/ 2 scsi disks + tapes).  Each machine has 4
clients running off of it.  One server functions as a yp server to all 9
of the other machines.  Effectively, a user on ONE of the 10 is a user on
ALL of the 10.

Right now, if I send mail to a user, he will only be able to read that
mail if he's on the same machine that I was on when I sent him the mail.

How do I set up the mail so that any user can get any mail from any sun?
I tried setting the aliases file to alias all users at the yp server, so
that all mail gets stored on that machine.  All the machines share the
/usr partition from the yp server machine, so I figured that all the mail
checks would be in the same place.  The only problem is that when each
mail file gets stored in the /usr/spool/mail directory, its owner is
"nobody", and therefore mail doesn't think that you have any mail, and
even if it did, one can't read "nobody"'s mail if you are a "somebody".

Anyway, I'm certain that there are other ppl out there with this same
set-up.  I'm also certain that I'm not the first to ask this question.  If
someone could please point me to an old response, I'd sure appreciate it.
I'm still new to unix, but I'm coming around.

-Cris Fuhrman
manager at a.coe.wvu.wvnet.edu   (129.71.12.1)