Mail on Sun 3/50, 3/60 set-up. Help!!!

Cris.Fuhrman at a.coe.wvu.wvnet.edu Cris.Fuhrman at a.coe.wvu.wvnet.edu
Fri Dec 23 00:57:07 AEST 1988

Dear Netlanders,

(*desperate sigh*)

We have a set up of (6) Sun 3/50's and (4) Sun 3/60's (two of the 3/60 are
servers - each with 4 client machines).  Ultimately we need to have it so
user fred can send mail to user shirl, no matter which machine fred is on.
User shirl needs to be able to read that mail no matter which machine she
is on.

I read somewhere on a USENET group (comp.sys.sun?) about how to set up
MAIL on a set of machines running YP for all the clients.  On our
configuration, a user on ONE machine is a user on ALL TEN machines.  The
disk space for /usr is cross mounted from one of the server machines to
the other nine.  The other server is basically used for disk space for the
users (/usr2 & /usr3).

Here's what I tried doing:

    On each machine, I defined the main server (the one physically /usr) as
    the mailhost in /etc/hosts.

    The (global) yp aliases file has every user (say fred) to be
    fred at mainserver (the mailhost).

    All of the machines see the same /usr/spool/mail, so that when any
    user logs in to any of the 10 Suns, he knows when he has mail.

Here's why it's not working:

    Some mail shows up in the /usr/spool/mail file with an owner of
    "nobody".

Ok.  So maybe I'm totally off base in my approach.  I've tried talking to
our local support person in Pittsburgh, but he keeps telling me to read
the tutorial.  I've read all that stuff about sendmail et al., but I'm
certain that the way we've got everything cross mounted is not what the
instructions assume to be the proper configuration.

Please send your replies to me directly as I don't have access to USENET
any more and I'm NOT on this list.  I've been trying to get on this list
now for close to two months but to no avail.  I have been sending requests
to "sunsposts-request at rice.edu" without bounces or replies.  (I wasn't
sending from the Suns ;-) )

-Cris Fuhrman			manager at a.coe.wvu.wvnet.edu (129.71.12.1)