How do you test if a file is remote mounted (N

Kevin Porter mcvax!memex.co.uk!kevin at uunet.uu.net
Fri Dec 23 00:37:01 AEST 1988

Is there any quick way (in user mode) to find out if a file is remote
mounted on an NFS file system? We have a way of finding out the name of
the host using the same algorithm as df(1) however this is quite slow. Is
there anything magic about the st_dev value returned by stat(2) that
indicates that the file is remote mounted? If there is, can we be sure
that this will not change from implementation to implementation?  We are
mainly concerned with Sun and Gould versions of NFS.  Any help in this
area would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kevin at memex.co.uk