UUCP over ethernet to non Sun machines

Bob Thrush uiucdcs!uiucuxc!tarpit!rd at uunet.uu.net
Tue Dec 20 16:26:43 AEST 1988

kobelan%bnrmtl.UUCP at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Allan Kobelansky) writes:
>Does anyone know how I may get my Sun to send mail over the ethernet using
>UUCP?
>
>The other machines are running XENIX which is supposed to be System V or
>thereabouts. I know how to make the XENIX machines communicate but there
>appears to be no way to have the Sun 'login' to another machine using
>UUCP.

I'm not using XENIX; however, I had a similar problem a 1 1/2 years ago.
I use an IBM AT which can login to the sun over ethernet as a uucp client.
This sounds similar to the capability that you have with your XENIX
systems.  I also have the ability to run a remote shell from the sun on
the AT.  With those assumptions in hand, the sun runs (from crontab) a
script that looks for local uucp files to be delivered to the AT uucp
machine and (using the remote shell) looks for files to be received from
that machine.  If it finds work, it invokes a remote uucico session to
have the other machine login and perform the transfer.

My solution was based on the use of Microport System V/AT running on an
IBM AT with the Excelan TCP/IP software.  The Excelan software did not
include an SMTP facility which would be most desirable; however, it did
contain a facility ("ud") which allowed one to specify an Excelan telnet
device to uucp.  By setting up a uucp link from the AT using ttyT16 as the
direct device and using a chat sequence that selected the sun and then
logged in, I had the link.  On the sun side, I created a uucp login, an
L.sys entry for the AT with "Never" as the time to call and a crontab
script to do the forementioned polling.  I also fiddled with the
sendmail.cf but I don't think the additions made any difference.

>WHat entries would I use in the L.sys file? For that matter what would I
>enter into the L-devices file?

Nothing needs to be added to the L-devices file.  The attached files
assume that "bigtime" is the sun and "tarpit" is the AT.  Also, since
tarpit is running HoneyDanBer uucp, you may have to change the bit that
looks for the uucp spool files to suit your XENIX system.

------- L.sys ------
tarpit Never

------- sendmail.cf (pertinent snippet?) -------
# major relay mailer
DMuucp

# major relay host
DRtarpit
CRtarpit

-------- crontab script --------
:
# @(#) poll.tarpit v1.0 Start tarpit's uucico for bigtime node
# Author: R.D. Thrush
#
# This script is expected to be run from out of the crontab.
# Since bigtime can't call tarpit via uucp, it must wait for
# tarpit to poll.  This is wasteful since we do have an Ethernet
# connection over which tarpit can run uucico (but not the other
# way around).  Consequently, this script will run tarpit's
# uucico via rsh iff bigtime has accumulated some traffic and
# there is not an ongoing uucp connection with tarpit.
#
DEBX=""
# DEBX="-x"
# echo "poll.tarpit"
if [ "$DEBX" = "-x" ]
then
    set -x
#	DEBUG=echo
fi

TARPOLL() {
if [ -f /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..tarpit ]; then
    exit 17		# We already have a uucico connection in progress
else
	$DEBUG /usr/ucb/rsh tarpit /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -sbigtime &
fi
}

BIGWORK=`/bin/ls /usr/spool/uucp/C. | fgrep tarpit`
if [ "$BIGWORK" ]; then
	TARPOLL        # if bigtime has work for tarpit
else
	TARWORK=`/usr/ucb/rsh tarpit /bin/ls /usr/spool/uucp/bigtime`
	if [ "$TARWORK" ]; then
		TARPOLL        # if tarpit has work for bigtime
	fi
fi

>I suspect that the answer lies in the 'sendmail' config file but so few
>people know their way around sendmail, and I'm one of them.

Don't feel like the lone ranger!  ;-}

Regards,
--
Bob Thrush                 UUCP: {rtmvax,ucf-cs}!tarpit!rd
Automation Intelligence,   1200 W. Colonial Drive, Orlando, Florida 32804