UUCP over ethernet to non Sun machines

Jim Wildman lynxys!jim at ee.ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Dec 20 16:46:48 AEST 1988

In our situation we have a Sun 3-160 running SunOs 3.5, a Compaq 386
Deskpro running SCO Xenix 2.2.3 and 3 Compaq 286 Deskpros running SCO
Xenix 2.2.1 (all the Compaqs have Excelan boards in them) all hooked to a
Delni box.  All mail to the outside world passes through the Sun.  As I
remember it, the Xenix sendmail and Sun sendmail are not on friendly terms
tho there may be a patch available on the Xenix side by now.  All of the
Xenix machines appear as "Slaves" in the Sun's L.sys file.  No changes
were necessary in L-devices.  The following is the output from "diff
sendmail.cf.new sendmail.cf.release" where tps, dennis, and wintek are
Compaqs;

73,74c73,74
< DUuucp
< CUuucp
---
> DUcom
> CUuucp com
390,393d389
< # Handle ethernet machines without using sendmail
< R$+<@tps.uucp>                $#uucp$@tps$:$1
< R$+<@dennis.uucp>     $#uucp$@dennis$:$1
< R$+<@wintek.uucp>     $#uucp$@wintek$:$1

(It took several weeks of searching to find the right guru to tell us
these things!!)

Every 15 minutes wintek (the 386) calls us up with uucp over the ethernet
and picks up the incoming and leaves the outgoing.  wintek then
distributes it to the other Compaqs.

If I mail something to wintek!usr, I can watch the Sun look for wintek on
the ethernet, not find it, then stash it away for wintek to come get it.
A little kludgy, but it works.

	Jim Wildman
	Lynxys, Inc
	Lafayette, IN