tape backups on 386i

Glenn Roberts gfr at wolfgang.mitre.org
Fri Dec 30 19:58:36 AEST 1988

> Has anyone had any success doing backups onto tape using SNAP?
> SNAP has been a headache from day two.  It stopped allowing me to
> add user accounts after adding the third one...

I agree SNAP should have been labeled 'beta test version' it simply
doesn't work properly.  I don't use it anymore.  An invaluable resource is
the manual "Sun386i Advanced Administration" (part 814-5012-01).  It tells
you how to do manually all the stuff SNAP should have been able to do.

Meanwhile, for backups I've been using tar. You can use tar to back up
sets of files or whole directories over the network to a machine with a
tape drive.  For example:

   tar cvfb - 20 . | rsh wolfgang dd of=/dev/rst8 obs=20b

from my home directory on cobra (the 386i) will backup all my files using
wolfgang's (a 3/110) tape drive.  This is explained in the man page for
'tar'.  You should be able to run this automatically using 'cron'.  See
pp. 100-102 of the "Advanced Skills" manual for instructions on setting up
a crontab entry.

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703)-883-6820
  gfr%wolfgang at gateway.mitre.org