3.5 yellow page bug?

Eliot Morrison morrison at cs.cornell.edu
Thu Dec 22 00:29:32 AEST 1988

We are running OS 3.5 on a large but fairly homogenous site, which
consists mainly of 5  3/2?0 servers, each serving 7-10 3/50 or 3/60
diskless clients. For many month we have been plagued by a recurring
problem that seems to be related to yellow pages. Observation has
convinced us that the crash of a yellow page server while a client is in
an active state sometimes causes the client to suffer a strange sort of
brain damage: some processes requiring file descriptors subsequently fail.
Our most salient examples are rsh, which simply returns after the initail
handshake because the client side connect failed, and lpr, which is unable
a get a lock. It seems that in each case the client kernel believes that
no more descriptors are available, a supposition that is in fact belied by
pstat, which reveals available resources.

More strangely, invoking ypset fixes the problem, even though yellow pages
is behaving normally then.

My question is simply whether anyone has observed similar behavior, and if
so, has the problem gone away under 4.x ?

thanks

Eliot Morrison