SunIPC and SunOS 4.0?

Mike Jipping jipping at cs.hope.edu
Sat Dec 10 10:15:26 AEST 1988

> Does anyone have experience with moving from a working SunIPC board
> accessed by Sun workstations under 3.4 to 4.0?  Is a new release of the
> SunIPC software necessary (probably free, huh!) or will the nfs daemon and
> pctool-related code work without change?  Thanks.

Well...the word is that the SunIPC is completely unaccessible with 4.0
(It's reality too -- at least OURS doesn't work!!).  My sales rep told me
(1) it would no longer be supported, then (2) it will be supported, but
not until into the 1st quarter '89, and after some recent probing (3) is
ominously silent.  Conversion from (1) to (2) made me obviously happy, but
(3) gets me worried.

Therefore, here a question for Sun-Spotters -- and maybe Sun (if they're
listening):  What about the SunIPC?  Will it (eventually) be operational
under 4.0?  If so when?  If not, when are we poor souls going to find out?

      Mike Jipping
      Hope College
      Department of Computer Science
      jipping at cs.hope.edu