printing LARGE postscript files with transcript

Mark Biggers biggers at dg-rtp.dg.com
Wed Dec 14 20:18:16 AEST 1988

shore at adobe.com (Andrew Shore):
> The BSD  spooling system can limit spooled file sizes.
> The "mx" printcap option sets the limit.
> The default is 1Mb. (If you have no "mx" entry, you get that limit!)
> Add
> 	:mx#0:
> to a printcap entry to allow spooling (and printing) of
> files of unlimited size.

We did have :mx#0: set on both the spooling host and the remote hosts;
pretty much the vanilla printcaps from the Transcript set-up software.
And (we think) there had been enough room on the /usr/spool filesystem of
the spooling host.  So today, I suggested to a co-worker that he set "mx"
to some arbitrarily LARGE value, and Presto!, we could print out a large
PS file (a portion of the new Andrew Toolkit docs) that we could not print
out before.  A bug?  I dunno...  But thanks to all for replying...

[[ The check for exceeding the "mx" printcap limit is done at queueing
time, NOT printing time.  If that limit was your problem, then it should
give you an error message when you try to submit the job with "lpr".
--wnl ]]

mark

biggers at dg-rtp.dg.com	USMail: Data General
OR: rti!dg-rtp!biggers		62 Alexander Drive
				Research Triangle Park, NC  27709