Connecting 386i to non-sun network?

David P. Huenemoerder dph at astro.chem.psu.edu
Fri Dec 16 16:50:22 AEST 1988

We have a single Sun 386i which we would like to have connected to the
university's ethernet and internet backbone.  We don't want to serve
anyone.  Apparently, the 386i MUST run yellow-pages.  As best as I could
determine, the system must be configured as a master server with no
clients.  Is this correct?  It works that way, but is confusing, since we
had to become our own domain, rather than a node on the university's
domain.  We would be perfectly happy if we could be a stand-alone with a
connection to the net for ftp/telnet/rlogin capability.  Our primary needs
for the net are mail and local file transfers, but we don't really need
NFS (maybe eventually, but not for a long time).

A related question:  as a master server with no clients, why doesn't SNAP
work?  Even root cannot do anything but backup and restore.  I gave myself
permissions in ypgroup which enabled the SNAP selections for everything
else, but they don't work reliably.  User accounts cannot be set up from
scratch.  Existing accounts can be modified.

David Huenemoerder   Penn State Det. of Astronomy
internet: dph at astro.psu.edu	(128.118.30.150)