Telebit trailblazers and sun 3/280, need hardware flow control

Sergei A. Gourevitch asg at space.mit.edu
Tue Dec 20 07:55:56 AEST 1988

You DON'T need hardware flow control with the telebits if you are running
one of their supported protocols such as uucp or kermit. The modem uses
its protocol "spoofing" for flow control.

my default configuration includes:(interface is locked at 19200 baud)
s111 = 255		Use other modem's protocol
S68  = 255		Use flow control specified in S58
S58  = 0		No flow control

My uucp dialing sequence sets"
s111 = 30		uucp protocol
s52  = 2		do  a reset on loss of DTR
s54 =  2		immediate break
s110 = 1		enable data compression

I do something similiar with kermit.

Telebit to telebit uucp transfers run at > 1200 bytes/second.

The only problem is using tip or kermit in "conversational" or "terminal"
mode. If you list a lot on the far end, it gets garbled. I wish the modem
had a switch which said "use whatever flow control the other telebit uses"
so I could turn on XON/XOFF flow control. In principle, I should be able
to remotely program the other end to accomplish the same thing but I
haven't been able to do that conveniently. Yes, hardware flow control
would solve the problem, and would be the best solution.

The modems perform "terribly" with slip.