Life With FrameMaker

Don Libes libes at cme.nbs.gov
Fri Dec 23 02:57:48 AEST 1988

richard at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Foulk) writes (about Frame):
>Such a nice package otherwise, too bad the developers forgot to plug their
>brains in before they started.

Like any software package that tries to do many things, FrameMaker has
inevitable problems, but on the whole the system is very coherent and well
done.  I highly recommend it.

A friend and I just had a book published that was entirely done with
Frame.  This was our first attempt at this kind of thing, and we were
amazed at how few real problems we ran into.  (The full story is kind of
long - we originally started writing it on a Macintosh and converted to
Frame after one chapter.)

We used all the Frame tools like automatic generation of table-of-contents
and index.  Generated camera-ready copy at a local printshop that had a
Linotronic printer.  In total, only 3 things had to be pasted in by hand:
2 copies of the Prentice-Hall logo in the front, and a comic strip that
was done by hand by someone else.

The book is called "Life With UNIX" and published by Prentice-Hall.  This
isn't a plug for the book - just go down to a bookstore and thumb through
it.  You will see that the type clarity and styles are good and that it
has plenty of graphics.  Only two of the graphics were done in raw
PostScript.  Everything else was drawn via Frame and displayed on the
screen for us to see.

Don