(lack of) security of client workstations

mcvax!gec-epl.co.uk!Don_Ward at uunet.uu.net mcvax!gec-epl.co.uk!Don_Ward at uunet.uu.net
Fri Dec 23 03:38:00 AEST 1988

Karl Kleinpaste writes
> All the software security features in the world won't stop me from hitting
> L1-A and twiddling memory from the PROM monitor.

I couldn't agree more.  The only decent fix to the many security problems
posed by an unprotected entry to the PROM monitor is to protect it.  The
best way is to use a (physical) lock and key on the workstation.
Customers who care about this would probably be prepared to pay extra for
it.

Don Ward
Systems Design Division
GEC Electrical Projects Ltd             Email: Don_Ward at gec-epl.co.uk
Boughton Road, Rugby, CV21 1BU UK.      Tel:   (+44 788  or 0788) 542144