Everex SCSI disk failure

Mike Green green at halifax.ee.umd.edu
Wed Dec 21 21:48:36 AEST 1988

The College of Engineering at the University of Maryland has been fitting
Sun 3 workstations with Everex 91D local disks. The Everex product is a
90MB Wren III with a SCSI interface which is sold for the MAC, they plug
into the Suns quite nicely and a demo unit ran fine for some months. We
are now running into big, big problems with them, basically they go into
meltdown at random intervals. The power supplies fry, several components
will melt and we return them to be repaired under a one year warranty. We
have around 30% failure rate.  Does anyone have any experience with this ?
We have checked pin-outs and the Everex has the optional Vcc (5 volts) on
pin 26 which appears to be a n/c on the Sun. All of our Suns have the
later board which has pin 25 as ground. Is there some hardware
incompatibility with the Sun or are the power supplies just not up to
scratch ?  Any help much appreciated etc.

ARPA:	green at hellcat.eng.umd.edu
UUCP:   allegra!mimsy!eneevax!hellcat!green
VOICE:  (301) 454 2922 at work, or (301) 253 2807 at home.