Cry for help in the dark: SunIPC boards

Thomas J. Arseneault arsen at spam.istc.sri.com
Wed Dec 21 22:08:42 AEST 1988

I am trying to install two SunIPC boards in one of our file servers and am
having trouble. It seems that PC-NFS can't mount any other server than the
host computer. They  was installed as per the accompanying manual using
the install script and some third party info (about having to install all
four drivers or the system will crash, happened twice to us, and some
errors in the book on how to set up the IPC-host networks,each pair
forming its own network ).

Other than the above mentioned problem the boards seem to work allright I
am able to open windows from other systems and run software. I am also
able to mount directorys from the host computer and YPmatch and YPcat seem
to work ok ( also nfs-ping works ).

The driver software is version 1.1 with the PC-NFS that was bundled along
with it ( I am not sure of its version but I think that it is 1.0).  I am
an MS-DOS person with just enought UNIX and networking knowledge to be
realy dangerous but I am working with our system admin people who are UNIX
people and not that familure with MS-DOS. What we need to know is if this
is is a problem that we have to live with or is it cureable ( can we mount
other servers from the SunIPC )? Is the problem with PC-NFS or with the
SunIPC boards themselves?

If any one out there has any inforamtion that may help it will be
gratefully accepted. Send help to "arsen at istc.sri.com" or post in
SunSpots.  Thank you in advance. "We don't you but we love you"