wanted: return caller program

Steve Harris etnibsd!vsh at uunet.uu.net
Thu Dec 1 23:40:57 AEST 1988

What with all the publicity about the virus, management is suddenly
becoming very security consicous.  Simultaneously, I am in the process of
purchasing additional modems and phone lines.  They want to be sure our
network will not be raped by some cracker dialing in on our new lines.

The following solution has been proposed:

	When an outsider connects to a dial-in port, instead of
	getty/login, a special program receives the call, prompts for a
	username and return phone number (and perhaps baud rate), and
	disconnects.  The program verifies the username and phone number
	against some file, and then calls the user back.  When the
	connection is made, the user logs in as usual (presumably
	the program forks or execs getty or login).

I can see that there might be some tricky stuff in writing such a program.
Basically, much of the stuff getty does would have to be duplicated.
Since I no longer have access to sources, I'd much rather use somebody
else's program than write one from scratch.

So...  Does anybody out there have such a program?  Or know of its
existence in any of the source archives?

BTW -- we are running Ultrix-32 (Rev. 2.2) on a uVax, and SunOS 3.[45] on
numerous Sun 3's.  I would think such a program would work on either
system.

Send email, I will summarize.

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
Steve Harris -- Eaton Corp. -- Beverly, MA --  uunet!etnibsd!vsh