Problem with <exitting> processes

Steve Souza @eldest telesoft!souza at ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 12 09:33:01 AEST 1988

Leonard E. Sitongia writes:
> This brings up another question: what is the "lbolt" WCHAN?

>From what I understand of the system internals, lbolt is a wait channel
address used by device driver routines that need to delay but are not
expecting a device interrupt.  They call the kernel sleep() routine with
lbolt as a parameter, and the system issues a wakeup call with the address
of this variable every second (every 60 clock ticks on a 60HZ machine).

I'd be surprised to see a process in a "zombie" state if it were waiting
on a reliably deterministic event like lbolt.

Steve Souza			ucsd!telesoft!souza, telesoft!souza at ucsd.edu
TELESOFT Inc., San Diego, CA	(619)457-2700 x277