lisp editors for sun workstations

Kevin Layer franz!snooze!layer at ucbarpa.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 12 08:32:44 AEST 1988

"bryan_kramer.TORHO"@xerox.com:
>> I have Sun Common Lisp (LUCID) and am unhappy with the editors available
>> (lucid emacs and spe).  Does anyone have/know of better tools?  If so,
>> could you please tell me how / where to get them?

We (Franz Inc.) have developed a interface between GNU Emacs and Allegro
CL which makes it seem that the Emacs shares the Lisp environment.  M-.
(find the source code) for functions defined in the Lisp environment, for
example.  In this case, Emacs and Lisp communicate using TCP/IP, and
requires the multiprocessing facility in Allegro CL.

The software is available ("as is") on ucbarpa.berkeley.edu or
ucbvax.berkeley.edu via FTP (login `ftp', password your login name, file
name pub/fi/gnudist-1.2-tar.Z).  There is an extensive online
specification of everything in the interface.

Version 1.3 is coming out this week, which has some fixes and completion
of Lisp symbols in Emacs (good 'ole M-TAB in Common Lisp source and
inferior buffers).

Also, there is a mailing this for the exchange of ideas on this
interface--send me mail if you are interested.

	Kevin Layer
	Franz Inc.
	layer%franz.uucp at Berkeley.EDU
	ucbvax!franz!layer