Service after the sale (was "Repost of Exabyte info summary")

Dewey Henize execu!dewey at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 14 21:38:42 AEST 1988

Just a quick note, regarding service after the sale...

A good while ago, when we knew a lot less than we do now about setting
things up properly, we got a unit from the folks at Perfect Byte.
Somehow, though various comedies of errors, we alse ended up with Sun
selling us a SCSI board of the 'sc' type.

At SunOS 3.4, it just didn't work.  I spent a while with the people at PBI
on the phone and we discussed the problem, established that we were gonna
be upgrading the OS anyhow, and put it aside.  Then the horror stories
started appearing about 4.0, so we procrastinated and didn't install for a
good while.  Recently, the conversion direct to 4.0 occured - no 3.5 in
between.  And there were problems again.  After many, many hours of
soulsearching on my end an on the PBI end, it was pretty well ascertained
that the problem isn't in the tape unit - its a Sun bug.  Nonetheless, the
PBI folks are getting us going so we can use the device, via some unusual
switch settings or a loaner board.

The point though is that throughout the entire episode, which took a whole
lot of hours mostly late at night, the PBI people were unfailingly very
polite and concerned.  They were very thorough and conciencious and
demonstrated that the priority was to have a satisfied customer, not to
point a finger at anyone or to say 'we did what we contracted to do'.

We'll be buying some more units in the future for Suns and other machines.
Because of the followup and service, they will be from Perfect Byte.

I'm only a customer of Perfect Byte, no other affiliation...

Dewey Henize
Execucom Systems
--
There is nothing in the above message that can't be explained by sunspots.
                  execu!dewey             Dewey Henize