SunOS 4.0 and panics

Teresa Kloss novavax!proxftl!tkloss at bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Mon Dec 12 17:56:07 AEST 1988

Ever since the release of 4.0 we have experienced several system panics.
The error message looks something like this:

	      panic: dirremove    or     panic: direnter

Sun's response to this problem was as follows:

>Writing to an NFS mounted file system through PCNFS may cause a panic.
>This occurs when an application running on the PC trys to clean house
>on the remote file system.
>
>This should occur only when attempting to remove a directory with a NU
>(0 length) name. (empty directory)
>
>The bug# is 1015159  and they will not fix it until 4.1...

We then experimented by creating and removing empty (and full) directories
on NFS mounted file system from a PC and guess what?  The system did NOT
crash.

Has anyone else expierienced these panics?  If so, were you able to
correct i Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?  Does
anyone know of any programs on the PC which may be calling rmdir
(especially since our users say they were not executing rmdir at the time
of the crash)?

We have over 30 PC's with NFS mounted file systems.  Needless to say, it
is a necessity that we find a way around this problem immediately.  Since
their first reply, Sun HAS committed to fixing the bug BEFORE 4.1 but that
could ta months and we need an answer NOW!!!