problems with cpio

Eric Pearce eap at bu-it.bu.edu
Fri Dec 16 08:50:29 AEST 1988

monty%tartarus at gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Monty BSD) says:
>we've been having a problem with cpio and our tape drive.  when we run
>cpio with the -B option (5120 blocksize), we get the messages:
>
>	vmunix: xt0: lost interrupt
>	vmunix: xt0: bad command synchronization

 [ stuff deleted ]
>before ?  is it a bug in cpio ?  we're running sunOS 4.0 on a 4/280S with
>a fujitsu GCR 9 track drive on a Xylogics 472 controller.

We were getting similar errors on 3/280 with 2 Xylogics 451's.  They went
away after we put the Xylogics 472 controller before (in a lower slot
number) the 2 disk controllers.  If you have your 472 after the disk
controller, try exchanging them. I'm not sure why you would get them only
with "the -B option" ... we produced ours while using '/etc/dump'.

 -e

Eric Pearce
Boston University Information Technology
111 Cummington Street
Boston, MA 02215
eap at bu-it.bu.edu
617-353-2780 (voice)
617-353-6260 (fax)

 UUCP !harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!eap  ARPANET eap at bu-it.bu.edu  CSNET eap%bu-it at bu-cs
 JNET jnet%"ep at buenga" BITNET iteap at buacca or ep at buenga