batch(1) setting $prompt

no capitals here sybase!calvin!ben at tis.llnl.gov
Tue Dec 13 17:55:29 AEST 1988

while experimenting with batch(1), a new at-oriented command in OS 4.0, i
noted it failed (sent me nasty mail) while trying to do stty(1) calls in
my .cshrc . i thought that was silly, since these calls occur after a line

	if !(?prompt) exit

which tells the shell stop reading the file if the shell is
non-interactive.  sure enough, when i submitted another job to batch
asking it to tell me what $prompt was (after moving my .cshrc to something
else so the job would at least finish!), it said it was "calvin% ", the
default.

now i contend that batch(1) jobs are *not* interactive, and shouldn't set
$prompt before reading my .cshrc . sounds like a bug in batch to me, and i
was wondering what everyone else thought before i submit it to sun.

please send me mail at one of the addresses below, and i'll let y'all know
how it comes out.

...ben

ben ullrich
sybase, inc.