FTP problem on 3/60's

trinkle at purdue.edu trinkle at purdue.edu
Wed Dec 21 09:04:16 AEST 1988

> ...What is almost
> certainly true is that the FTP DAEMON (ftpd) wants to find its own
> hostname at initialization time and is not able to do so because the local
> host's entry is not in the host table.  --wnl ]]

(mild) Shame on you.  The problem is with ifconfig.  It looks in
/etc/hosts on the "local" root (how can it look anywhere else, the network
is not "running").  Because stderr is not directed to the console in the
rc script, you never see the error.  Ifconfig seems to show the right
stuff for the interface, but it is not completely initialized.  By the
time ftpd starts, YP is running.  This was discussed about a year ago I
think.  I know because we were on the receiving end of the info.

[[ Righto!  Sorry for being misleading there.  The fix is the same.
Thanks to everyone else who sent in similar (correct) information.
--wnl ]]

Daniel Trinkle			trinkle at cs.purdue.edu			ARPA
Department of Computer Sciences	trinkle%purdue.edu at relay.cs.net		CSNET
Purdue University		{ucbvax,decvax}!purdue!trinkle		UUCP
West Lafayette, IN 47907	(317) 494-7844				PHONE