FTP problem on 3/60's

Dana A. Chee dana at dino.bellcore.com
Wed Dec 21 18:27:27 AEST 1988

white at cs.unc.edu (Brian T. White) writes:

> We had this problem when a ypclient machine did not have its own host name
> in its own version of /etc/hosts....

For those interested, what really happens is that ifconfig 'fails'.  When
ifconfig is called to set up the interface (in /etc/rc.boot), one of the
things it does is to try to set the internet address for the interface.
But this fails since the address can't be found for the host name.  The
effect of this is that the kernel says that there is no address for the
given interface and fails the 'bind()'.

The method we use to get around this is to do the ifconfig again in
/etc/rc.local after the yp stuff has been started (after the mount -vat).

Below is an example:

# re-do the ifconfig to put the hostname in
/etc/ifconfig ec0 `/bin/hostname` -trailers up > /dev/null
--
Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488
Bellcore
445 South Street			ARPA: dana at bellcore.com
Morristown,  NJ  07960-1910		UUCP: {gateways}!bellcore!dana