Tuning SunOS4.0

Scott Guthery spar!ascway!guthery at decwrl.dec.com
Wed Dec 21 14:26:19 AEST 1988

We've got a system consisting of 80K lines of Sun Lisp, 60K lines of NeWS,
and 100K lines of C & Fortran running (?) on SunOS4.0.  It's a pig.  Does
anyone know of any system-wide profiling, monitoring, and/or tuning tools
what we could use to help us figure out why?  Does anyone know of any Unix
or Sun consultants that specialize in this sort of problem?  As far as we
can tell Sun doesn't even offer a course in tuning 4.0.  Please respond
directly.

[[ Sun doesn't really provide you with many things to tune.  I believe
this was by design more than anything.  They recently put out a document
that described some simple tuning adjustments you could make to 4.0 to
make it run better on limited memory machines (such as 4 Meg machines).
I don't remember the name of the document off-hand, but they were handing
them out at the SUG Conference.  Your local service person should be able
to get one for you or at least know where you can order one from.  --wnl ]]

	Thanks much, Scott (guthery%asc at sdr.slb.com)