minfree for large file systems

mcvax!ritd.co.uk!mr at uunet.uu.net mcvax!ritd.co.uk!mr at uunet.uu.net
Wed Dec 21 15:06:31 AEST 1988

I am pondering whether the "minfree" default of 10% makes sense with the
very large file systems that we are beginning to see (1Gb+).  OK, so disk
is cheaper per megabyte than ever it was, but are we wasting
bucks/pounds/francs/ningies/etc. needlessly?

Would anyone who understands the finer intricacies of the BSD file system
like to comment or suggest, please. Would 5% start to make more sense? Am
I talking alone in my wonder?

        Martin Reed, Racal Imaging Systems Ltd

uucp: mr at ritd.co.uk,uunet!ukc!ritd!mr,sunuk!brains!mr
Global String: +44 252 622144
Paper: 309 Fleet Road, Fleet, Hants, England, GU13 8BU