sun problems revisited

Freedman jfjr at mbunix.mitre.org
Wed Dec 21 15:46:42 AEST 1988

Remember me I sent this note:

>   I have a Sun 3/160 running 3.5, 25 megs of swap space.
>I run suntools, open a couple of shell tool windows-
>run a piped command (ie ls-R|more) whoops- the console
>window dissappears and I get a message...
>"sorry process pid XXXX killed swap
>problem in getxfile - i/o error mapping pages...

I have gotten some replies (little help at all from Sun Support though). I
appreciate the efforts. Its gotta be a disk problem so I am going to
reformat the disk - start from scratch but I thought I would add another
symptom.

After a "incident" I can usually find a core file (cron, update etc..). If
I run adb it tells me that the file dumped because of a "bad magic
number". This sort of indicates to me ( I am grasping at straws) tha the
file system(s) are f**cked.