how do I do a backup on my 386i?

Peter Lorraine lorraine at msc2.tn.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 21 15:26:37 AEST 1988

Has anyone had any success doing backups onto tape using SNAP?  I have
been able to backup single user acounts and then restore files but have
been unable to do a full (or even large) system backup.  The tape spins
back and forth for an hour or two, eventually stops, and then sits for
ever until the backup job is killed.  This is very upsetting!  I called up
SUN's 800 number last Thursday and am still waiting for a reply so I
thought I'd ask here.  I've been trying to do backups as "root".  The
".backup" file with the catalog listing appears for small backups in "/".
Any attempt to do a second small backup is unsuccessful as long as the
first ".backup" directory is present.  Any attempt to do an "ADD ENTRY" to
rebuild a catalog hangs the SNAP window indefinitely.

SNAP has been a headache from day two.  It stopped allowing me to add user
accounts after adding the third one.  The diagnostic messages have been
bewildering.  Does anybody have any documentation about the backup program
being run?  Is there anyway to do this without going through SNAP?  My
system has lots of nice stuff on it now and I would like to get some
backed up before Christmas.

	thank you,
	Peter Lorraine (lorraine at msc2.tn.cornell.edu)