Screen depth -- really, WHICH SCREEN?

Matthew Turk mit-amt!turk at mit-amt.media.mit.edu
Fri Dec 9 18:05:06 AEST 1988

A few people have responded to my post about finding the screen depth --
and thanks, by the way -- but they didn't really read the question!!  So
let me ask it again, if you all don't mind.

I don't just want to know the screen depth of /dev/fb -- I want to know
the screen depth of -> the screen I am typing to <-.  Since my Sun
currently has two monitors attached (one is /dev/fb and the other is
/dev/cgfour0), what I really need is a way to find out which device I
happen to be using.  (I have suntools running on both screens and can move
back and forth just my moving the mouse over -- "adjacentscreens" allows
this.)  So if I had a routine that returns "/dev/fb" or "/dev/cgfour0", I
could easily find the depth.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

	Matthew