shelltool child of another shelltool

tale at pawl.rpi.edu tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Thu Dec 22 15:13:35 AEST 1988

Here is a bug, unless someone can convince me it is a feature.

The scenario:
	SunOS 3.5 based on BSD 4.2.
	suntools-e
	default shell: /usr/local/bin/ecsh  (emacs-like c-shell)

Now my problems mught arise over either my use of a non-standard suntools
(modifications had nothing to do with window control, though, at least as
reported by the author) or ecsh, which does do a couple of weird (read as:
neat!) things with command lines.  Perhaps it is the interaction of both.
I'm am pretty sure they are involved, though, because when I am defaulted
to csh in good old suntools, it works fine.

The problem?  When I run shelltool in the background from another
shelltool, it loads with only stty kill '' set.  stty\n shows that
everything is <undef[ined]>.  This creates a problem when I run any of my
C programmes, all of which use fgets 99% of the time to read input.  I
type on the stdin, but nothing gets displayed.  It gets passed, but not
displayed.  If I set all the sttys by hand, they don't work on my command
line.  Any suggestions?  [[ Type an "stty" command with appropriate
settings?  Type the "reset" command?  Or do you mean something more
automated?  --wnl ]]

Incidentally, the olny reason I am running a shelltool from within another
shelltool rather than from the menu is that I need it -Wn and that is not
an escape sequence which I can echo from within the shell.

Dave

      tale at rpitsmts.bitnet, tale%mts at rpitsgw.rpi.edu, tale at pawl.rpi.edu