Booster Ferdonic Sort

Steve Jay ultra!shj at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 17 05:55:05 AEST 1988

cvalcour at fester.prime.com (Chris Valcourt):
>  Also - has anyone ever seen the algorithm for a Booster Ferdonic Sort.

I suspect what's desired here is a "boustrophedonic" sort.  Boustrophedon
is defined in my dictionary as:

  [Gk boustrouphedon, adv., lit., turning like oxen in plowing]: of
  or relating to the writing of alternate lines in opposite directions.

I'm not up on sort algorithms, but I think this may hark back to the days
of sorting with scratch files on mag tapes, where reading a file
backwards, using reverse read on the drive, could save time over waiting
for the drive to rewind.  I have no idea if this has any applicability to
modern sorting methods.

Steve Jay                       domain: shj at ultra.com
Ultra Network Technologies	Internet: ultra!shj at ames.arc.nasa.gov
101 Daggett Drive               uucp: ...ames!ultra!shj
San Jose, CA 95134
408-922-0100