/dev/null broken !?

Jean-Francois Lamy lamy at ai.toronto.edu
Thu Dec 1 21:00:02 AEST 1988

At least half a dozen times now, we have observed /dev/null mutating into
something different.  One day we found /dev/null had a non-zero size.
Somehow programs took a very long time reading it...  Another common
mutation is to change to /dev/drum's major number.  Then, the next
morning, the script that rolls the logs innocently copies /dev/null to
each log.  From 80 Megs free in /var to 0 in a few seconds flat...  These
mutations have been seen on two different Sun 4s with RF3220 controllers,
both running 4.0.  Maybe this should go to some science-fiction mailing
list :-).

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy at ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Creative Solutions, University of Toronto