screenblank, lockscreen monitor off switch

David Fitzgerald beareq!quants5!fitz at wheaties.ai.mit.edu
Fri Dec 30 20:38:48 AEST 1988

personally i prefer screenblank to lockscreen for saving monitors.  the
reasons are two fold. (one) the monitors phosphor display is not being
wasted when it is not being used. (two) my boss can not tell if i have
arrived late in the morning or if i am just away from my desk for a few
mins.  either way the screen goes dark after a few mins. (you didn't see
that boss.)

as to whether these programs are good for the screen i don't know. even
with screenblank the monitor is still on i.e. warm.  grant it the phosphor
is not being stressed but something is turning out all those BTUs

i still use lockscreen  with the "important" -e option if i need to leave
the terminal for a while with tools up and running

dave
----