Elm on SunOS 4.0

Robert Claeson mcvax!maxim.ERBE.SE!prc at uunet.uu.net
Fri Dec 30 12:36:10 AEST 1988

david at wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
> We have installed the 'elm' mail package on our Sun 3/260 running SunOS
> 4.0.  It works, but we have had a number of irritating quirks.  For
> instance, when we try to run it on a vt52 terminal, we get this message:
>
> Emergency Exit taken!  All temp files intact!
> Seqment Violation signal!

I've seen that before in all ELM's from 1.5 up to the current 2.1 PL1, and
on other UNIX'es than SunOS as well. It appears that if ELM can't find all
terminal attributes it needs, then it spits out this message and
terminates (a little drastic, though).

For example, I get this message if I use TERM=ansi (no attributes, for
example), but if I set TERM to vt100, ELM works nicely.

[[ Sounds to me like someone didn't check to see if termcap's tgetstr
returned NULL!  --wnl ]]

--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
"No problems." -- Alf