What is sendmail.mx on SunOS4.0?

David Steffens eplunix!das at harvard.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 3 08:13:27 AEST 1988

While disabling "debug" mode on sendmail, I noticed another program called
/usr/lib/sendmail.mx which is also setuid root.  Being the curious type, I
ran strings and discovered that it, too, has what appears to be a "debug"
mode.  There seems to be no info on what this program is or does, although
my search of the available sendmail documentation may not have been
exhaustive.

Therefore, I have sent a request to hotline at sun for answers to the
following questions:

	1) What is sendmail.mx?
	2) Under what conditions is it executed?
	3) Should "debug" be disabled on it as well?

In the mean time, I have disabled "debug" mode on sendmail.mx using the
same method as for sendmail (just to be safe) and I thought Sun-Spots
readers might like to know...
--
{harvard,mit-eddie,think}!eplunix!das		David Allan Steffens
243 Charles St., Boston, MA 02114		Eaton-Peabody Laboratory

[[ "sendmail.mx" is very likely a version of sendmail that understands and
processes MX name resolver packets.  I would venture to say that it is
never run directly, but is there so that those who need it can replace the
standard sendmail with it.  --wnl ]]