Sun-Spots Digest, v6n11

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Sun Feb 7 11:25:40 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Friday, 5 February 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 11

Today's Topics:
              Re: Adding a node to a server-based system (2)
                    Re: Maximum disk space limitation?
                     Re: Two ND servers on one cable
                    Re: Problems (bug) with SunOS 3.4
                               Re: ping bug
              Re: FIG (was: MacDraw and/or Macpaint for Sun)
                     new version of tcpdump available
         FBIOGTYPE ioctl bug and Sun video enable/disable program
                        3.2 vs. 3.4 `time' command
                 Calentool doesn't know about leap years
                            Bug in C compiler
                            Problems with Suns
                     Sun monitor behaving strangely?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
Recent backissues are stored on "titan.rice.edu".  For volume X, issue Y,
"get sun-spots/vXnY".  They are also accessible through the archive
server:  mail the word "help" to "archive-server at rice.edu".

Date:    Sat, 23 Jan 88 15:28:50 GMT
From:    James Davenport <jhd%maths.bath.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Adding a node to a server-based system (1)

I wondered when some-one was going to ask this question.  SUN's official
answer is indeed that you have to install again, and re-run through setup.
We have (twice) added new discless nodes - Here's what we did.

Time 1 (I was fairly green then).

Let SUN do it, which means that they do indeed run setup, and all the
discs get trashed etc. HOWEVER, we unplugged the user file store first, so
that setup didn't know it was there. After it had finished trashing and
re-building the system disc, we restored such bits of the system as we
needed from out backups, merged the old and new fstabs (a touch tricky
here: you want the new fstab + the entries for the user file store from
the old one), do a /etc/mount -a, and we were back without having to
restore the user file store (though I had taken a backup before - I wasn't
that green!). My SUN engineer was quite happy with this process - I
recommend it as a good compromise.

Time 2

0) Back everything up.
1) Add entries for the new machine to /etc/hosts, /etc/ethers, any mailers
   you have, your yellow pages domains, /etc/exports etc., and rebuild
   yellow pages.
2) SUN engineer arrives and installs the hardware. You then kick him out
   of the seat, and he stands around for the rest of the exercise,
   disclaiming all responsibility (and taking notes, if he's any good).
3) Decide where to put the / (nd0) and swap (nd1) partition for the new
   machine. This will probably involve making another partition smaller.
   WARNING: as already mentioned on this net, you can't start a disc with a
   swap partition - it will trash the disc label. This is a step you
   should think through carefully, and preferably when you do your initial
   installs (hence SUN's view that you should reserve the partitions
   initially) - it's a lot easier to add disc space than it is to lose it.
   Although not explicitly mentioned, I believe that all these boundaries
   should be on cylinder boundaries.
[ go single-user on your server]
4) Use diag to re-label the disc. The details depend on what disc you have,
   and what you're doing to it. My SUN engineer was actually quite helpful
   over this stage of it. What you'll be doing is changing the start/end
   places of the partitions you are stealing the disc space off. These should
   NOT be /, /pub and preferably not /usr [I didn't change /usr, so won't
   pretend I did. That would make life more complex].
5) Change /etc/nd.local to add the two new nd partitions. When we added
   "borodin", the two lines we added were:
	user borodin 0 /dev/xy0c 326960 16080 3
	user borodin 1 /dev/xy0c 343040 65660 -1
   meaning that 16080 blocks on /dev/xy0c starting at block 326960 would
   be /dev/ndl3 for the server, and /dev/nd0 for borodin, and 65660 blocks
   starting at 343040 would be /dev/nd1 for borodin (its swap space).
   Then re-run nd.
6) use /etc/mkfs to make the new / filing system (/dev/ndl3 in my case) for
   the new client (unfortunately /etc/newfs won't make nd partitions - sigh).
   The "size" parameter quoted to mkfs is the 16080 (or equivalent) from
   the previous step.
7) use a back-to-back dump/restore pair to copy an existing nd client's
   root partition onto the new one. Choose the existing client most like the
   new one. It helps if no-one is logged on to this machine at the time.
8) Sanitise the newly created partition. The minimum change is:
   a) hostname in etc/rc.boot (else chaos!)
   You should also:
   b) delete private/usr/spool entries (else the documents will print twice)
   c) tidy up private/usr/spool/mail;
   d) check over things like private/usr/lib/crontab;
   e) check over dev.
9) use newfs to re-make the partitions that you trashed while stealing space
   for the new clients. Then restore the data (there was room, wasn't there?).
A) Place a symbolic link in /tftpboot on the server from "hex address in
   capitals of client, e.g. CAE1001F" to "ndboot.sun3.pub1" (or whatever).
   Incidentally, if you don't like the idea of all your discless machines
   running the same kernel, this directory is the place to hack. But that's
   another story.
[ go multi-user, but gingerly]
Restart the old client, then try the new one.

This process took me about 45 minutes in all - a great saving over setup.
But I had thought about it for several days before hand.

James Davenport
jhd at uk.ac.bath.maths