Sun-Spots Digest, v6n107

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Sat Jun 11 04:57:54 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Friday, 10 June 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 107

Today's Topics:
                         Re: Doing the unexpected
                         Re: Sun2 Monitor on Sun3
                          Trojan Horse: "turkey"
                         need SLIP for SunOS 4.0
         Need advice on distributed networks and database systems
                          Fast bcopy() on Sun-4?
                        Fine Grained Time stamps?
                          A simple question: L3
                              OCR for Suns?
                         Pointer for Clearpoint?
                    Sunview vfont to Framemaker bfont?
     Setup guide for Telebit TrailBlazers on Sun Workstations (LONG)

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Fri, 3 Jun 88 09:44:44 MDT
From:    woods at handies.ucar.edu (Greg Woods)
Subject: Re: Doing the unexpected

I don't understand what is happening. If I attempt to start a second
sendmail daemon on any machine I've ever used, including Sun-3's and 4's,
I get "bind: address already in use". I didn't think it was possible for
two daemons to bind to the same port. Am I missing something?

--Greg (woods at ncar.ucar.edu)

[[ That's what I think, too.  But I wasn't sure enough about it to say
something out loud.  As far as I know, you can't have more than one
process "listening" to the same port....can you?  --wnl ]]