Sun-Spots Digest, v6n124

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed Jun 29 06:55:25 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Tuesday, 28 June 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 124

Today's Topics:
                          Re: Sun 3/50 eyestrain
                   Re: writemasks and retained pixwins
                            Re: cshrc prompt
                              Office lights
                 Program to examine your SUN display mode
                         New telebit setup guide
               Uucp does not work on SUN-4 (with Sys4-3.2).
                            4.0 vs kill -HUP 1
                            4.0 SOS questions
                          SUN OS 4.0 disk space?
                                 PC/NFS?
           Why is my 3/60 so slow - and why is mine unuseable?
               How do I make an IBM readable tape on a SUN?
                     A tool to draw structure charts?
                 Problems with Apple Laser-writer and Sun

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    17 Jun 88 13:38 EST
From:    Dick St.Peters <stpeters%dawn.tcpip at csbvax>
Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 eyestrain

>  Do some people have non-linear eyes?

*Everybody* has non-linear eyes - or perhaps it's better to say people
have non-linear visual responses, since not just the eye is involved.
"Linearity" isn't even well-defined.  Perceived brightness is highly
non-linear as a function of physical brightness - ask anyone who has tried
to uniformly illuminate an image digitization table.

Visual response is complex; there is a short-term dynamic range around a
long-term bias level.  The long-term bias level adjustment is easy to
detect; e.g., going into or out of a dimly-lit building on a bright sunny
day.  Non-linearity of the short-term response is more subtle; its whole
purpose is to make you unaware of it.

The eyestrain problem comes from the 66Hz Sun screen refresh mixing with
the 60Hz light flicker to create a 6 Hz beat frequency.  Making the
refresh rate 66Hz instead of 60Hz moves the beat frequency high enough to
turn a gross problem into one subtle enough so that only some people under
some lighting conditions are bothered by it.  A beat frequency of 6Hz is
about as close as you dare get to the brain's 8Hz alpha frequency, where
you run the risk of inducing seizures and blackouts.

If your only windows are on your screen, use incandescent lights, which
have a relatively small amount of flicker at 60Hz, because the filament
does not have time to cool off.  The "flicker" is more like a "ripple" on
a constant background.  Fluorescent light flicker depends a lot on the
particular bulbs: if the phosphor is fast, the light can turn almost
completely on and off at 60Hz.  My understanding is that high-efficiency
"industrial" fluorescents tend to have fast phosphors.

Also subtle: stare in one direction, say at your screen, and each region
of your retina will begin adjusting its bias according to the brightness
focussed on it.  Normal eye movements make the resulting spatial
non-linearity coarse, but matching screen brightness to room brightness
(dark room, dark background) is easier on the eyes.